Saturday, January 28, 2017

Trust the Process

Lately, I can procrastinate with the best of you:  clean, groceries, laundry, dust, cook, journal, blog, vacuum.  I can totally set all these aside and curl up on the couch with my Kindle and Pinterest in full force.  This morning I decided that the several designs forged in my dusty table tops called for a deep cleaning.  I kid you not...miracles were performed here today.

Please know that I am aware of the face you will make when I make this next statement, "I love to clean the bathroom."  Hear me out.  It is the room in the house that I can see the most progress and feel completely accomplished.  Soap scum - gone.  Toothpaste in the sink - disintegrated.  Spots on the mirror (you all know) - swooshed away with a miracle cleaning cloth.  Toilet - ewe - can swirl and flush the bleachy goodness with my eyes closed.  Fresh towels, toilet paper filled, trash emptied, shower curtain closed, fresh hand-towels...I even "magic-earasered" the light switches and wall.  

It is a process, but I have done it enough to know that the thirty minute commitment and hands that need an extra dose of sanitizer and lotion are totally worth it.  

My husband came home a couple of weeks ago and said that a change my son had made in his baseball form had finally clicked.  He said he kept telling him, "trust the process."  And there it was...this big pressure from God placing a firm hand on my leg, my husband who had no idea what he had just said...Trust the Process.  

Sometimes is all the tiny things that we feel have little impact, negligible effect, and no reward for the kingdom...are simply the process.  To be faithful in the small things, so that we can be trusted to glorify God in the big things.  To work on a minimal change in our feet and hands for two months only to finally hear the crack of the bat and know the process had worked.

Luke 12:26 If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest?

We are looking here at God taking care of all the "small" things of this world so that one day, we will all rejoice together as family.  The flowers, the birds...no worries.  He takes care of them and so, wow, he will totally care of us.  

I have also been going over and over the book of Ruth this month, with God again applying his gentle pressure every time I glance at the word "glean".  When we are faithful, when we choose the unknown over the comfortable, when we are willing to follow behind the lead workers and glean what remains...we will be redeemed.  Ruth gleaned for over a year...the scrap work in the fields.  

Trust the process.  No matter the path, no matter the small work in the fields, no matter the message in the dust, the ring in the toilet, the one inch shift in our hands, no matter the grief, uncertainty, exhaustion.  The work we do today is part of a much bigger result and one day it will all click and sparkle like a reflection in a freshly cleaned faucet.

May you write a little prayer in the dust and know that God, in His time, will wipe it away.

Notconsumed.com


No comments:

Post a Comment