Friday, December 30, 2016

What's in a Name?

Your eyes do not betray you!  As I got on this morning in the hopes that God would provide the words I need or more important, that you may need, I decided it was time for a make-over.  As I looked for a new font for the "Lantern No. 7" title, a new script caught my eye, "Covered by Your Grace".  Even if it was a wonky font, it was clearly going to be the winner.

I chose the title Lantern No. 7 for a couple of reasons.  The first one being my all-time favorite bible passage, Matthew 5:14-16 You are the light of the world.  A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.  Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in Heaven.

When I think of light, my visual mind automatically gravitates toward a lantern and it's ability to shine, whether placed on a hook, sat in the corner of the back deck, centered on the dining table, through cold, heat, and perfection, weathering sun, fog, rain, wind, snow...yet it shines.

We are chosen to be the light of Christ.  To stand tall, as if always on that hill, not hiding from the sorrows of the world, but instead using every ounce of energy to shine on it.  To shed light on the glory and grace that He freely offers and when fully surrendered, no basket can contain.

Second, seven is God's number of perfection.

In Genesis:  The world is created in 7 days.  Cain avenged 7 times.  Noah waited 7 days after the rain to send the dove.  Abraham set aside 7 sheep.  Seven years of famine for Egypt.

Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, 1 Samuel, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Daniel all work work in sevens.

In Matthew: Seven loaves and fish, 7 baskets, forgive 70x7, 7 brothers, 7 sacks leftover.  Mark and Acts...sevens.

In Revelation:  Seven churches, 7 stars, 7 torches fronted the throne, 7 seals, the lamb has 7 horns, 7 eyes, 7 spirits of God, 7 angels with 7 trumpets, 7-headed dragon, 7 disasters, 7 bowls, 7 kings.

Just as prominent as seven, is the theme of light.  Thus...Lantern No. 7 - Shining God's perfect light.

This year has left my lantern a little tarnished and the feeling that I am probably more of a three or four than a seven.  I have a couple of cracked panes of glass and my light has been covered in fallen leaves and knocked over by some unexpected storms.  Though I have felt like a dull glow for a couple of months now, I know that I have to do all I can to seek to stay lit, to climb the hill, and to remember that I am not promised a life of comfort, nestled safely in a warm basket.

As the promise of a fresh twelve-month calendar looms, I am vowing to start fresh.  Here are seven things that I am putting on my list:

1. New look for blog - check.
2. New way to study the bible - no longer relying on "devotions" of others to start my day, but sincerely seeking through studying only the Word in my new ESV Reader.
3. Consistent Prayer Journaling. Praise. Repent. Ask for others. Ask for Yourself.
4. Saving money to purchase a passport for future mission trips that I have always felt called to do.
5. Read 52 books this year.  (I did this a few years ago and it was amazing!  Some weeks I would read one book, other weeks I would hit a series and read three or four, but at the end of the year, it averaged 52).  David Cook offers a free Christian e-book each week, so my Kindle is LOADED!
6. Banish guilt.
7. Take off my six Christmas pounds because I am totally human and my pants are giving me a little tighter hug.  Although I did receive a couple of cute tunics to camouflage the battle.

I ask your forgiveness in my inconsistent posting these past few months...it has truly been a difficult year and I have spent a lot of quiet time trying to figure out what that means for me, though I am not entitled to any answers in the now.  I am aware that I am not alone in my grief and transitioning and please know that I continue to pray for each of you as you seek a "new normal".

I pray that God reveals big things to you in 2017, that you climb and lay claim to your hill, and that "this little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine," becomes your walk-up music.


No comments:

Post a Comment